Friday, July 27, 2007

Bob Costas; Journalist, Announcer, Award Winner, Midget Man


Oh Barry. As if the steriod scandal doesn't get him enough press, he has to open his mouth.

I'll get into how I feel about him as a baseball player, steroids, his place in history, and all of that good stuff when he actually breaks the record.

But for now, I just needed a laugh.

In response to Bob Costas running a special on Barry Bonds and his well-documented "alleged" steroid use, Bonds declared that Costas is a "little midget man who knows (nothing) about baseball".

I suppose when you stand (a listed) 6'2", 236 pounds, a measly 5'6" and a half pound man could be considered a "midget".

"As anyone can see, I'm 5'6" and a half and a strapping 150, and unlike some people, I came by all of it naturally" Costas retorted.

Perhaps as funny as the original statement, Bonds response to Costas's retort was "How do you know [he came by it naturally]?... I don't care."

Calling one of the sports' most recognizable and distinguished journalists a "midget man" is certainly not going to make you any more popular, but then, do you think Barry Bonds cares?

While this little episode is pretty good, my all-time favorite Bonds quote comes from when he addressed the grand jury:

"Bonds said that Anderson had so little money that he 'lives in his car half the time.' Asked by a juror why he didn't buy 'a mansion' for his trainer, Bonds answered:

'One, I'm black, and I'm keeping my money. And there's not too many rich black people in this world. There's more wealthy Asian people and Caucasian and white. And I ain't giving my money up.'"

Caucasian and white?

What a guy.

I mean after all, what is life without friendship?

"This is our fraternity, and if we don't stand for each other, who is going to stand for us? And I will stand by my fellow player, regardless of anything."

Oh Barry.


Vegas Mom said...

It seems even when Barry is trying to be nice, he doesn't know what he's talking about. But... he's rich, nothing else matters I suppose.

Marcelo Figueroa said...

Oh Vegas how I miss commenting on your blog... Bonds is a waste of sperm and egg. I hope he breaks both his legs in the upcoming Dodger series and has to retire just one homer short of the record. Yes I said it. And it felt great.