Monday, June 4, 2007

Ask Me Anything! (#4)

This one from my mother:

I have a question. How do you think Pronger should be punished for that cheap shot against McAmmond? I think he should be suspended the rest of the series, seems his one game suspension didn't teach him any lessons! And what was the ref watching? No penalty???

Pronger was suspended one game for the elbow... one game more than I thought he'd get, and one game less than he deserved.

Suspending him for the rest of the series as you suggested would have been a fair move, considering it is his second offense in 2 weeks, but there were two reasons why this wasn't happening. 1) Pronger is a star in the league and thus will receive a bit of special treatment, 2) It is the Stanley Cup Finals. Every single call, review, goal, hit, etc. is magnified tenfold in the finals... no one wants to suspend a guy for the entire series unless he virtually commits murder.

Granted, looking back at #1, if Chris Pronger were say Sean O'Donnell, he'd probably not be seeing another game this series. But he isn't. He's Chris Pronger. It was for this reason that I thought they might just let him get away with it. (Best argument I heard was that McAmmond is short so Pronger meant to hit him legitimately and accidentally elbowed him. Please.)

In my opinion, and that of most unbiased hockey fans (not saying I'm unbiased, but I can be when I have to be...), Chris Pronger should have received a 2-game suspension. One game for the elbow itself, and one game for the fact that this just happened in the last series and he obviously didn't learn anything or care.

To see the elbow, check it out here.

Funny, the more I watch it, the more I have to agree with your series-long suspension.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, Vegas. The Ducks are up 3-1. If they close this thing out wednesday, will you retreat into a bunker or bomb shelter with enough munitions to last you until the puck drops on the 2007-08 season? Or will you wander this earth having to deal with Ducks fans reminding you that they have more to brag about than the organization that will become LA's "other" hockey team?

Vegas Dave said...

Ducks fans? Fortunately for me, they are pretty scarce.

I've been driving around town with an Ottawa Senators flag on my car. Seen a Ducks flags in Los Angeles?

Dirtiest team in the league with some of the lousiest fans in the league wins the cup. I shouldn't (and wont) be the only one thats upset.

Anonymous said...

I agree whole heartily with you on the Pronger suspension,but I still think the Ducks would have won anyway due to their hitting,toughness and dirty play. and you also can't leave out Giguere,just unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

I guess you are right, it's because he's Pronger, but I think he should have to be out as many games as McAmmond due to the injury he inflicted. Unfortunately it didn't matter this game anyway. I'd have to say in this game JS kept Ottawa from not scoring 4 goals in that first period, and then they just ran out of fuel.

Vegas Dave said...

Yes, the Ducks would have won anyway. They are well coached. They are now 2 - 0 in games that Pronger has been suspended. The rest of the team picks up the slack when he's gone.

Yes, JS has been very good, and my biggest fear came true... Emery hasn't been.

Josh said...

What do you think about the embarrassingly low ratings the Stanley Cup Finals are getting? And how can hockey start the recovery process from this?

Networks will be reluctant to air the Stanley Cup Finals if this is the result. They could do a Friends tribute looking back at the love-story between Ross and Rachael that would crush these ratings.